1. How did films happen for a professional sportsperson like you?
I enjoy acting and sport is a way of life for me. So, during my college days, I was also enjoying acting in plays, whenever I got some time off from sports. I was also modeling along side. When an opportunity for a film by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra came along, I could not say no. That film changed my life.
2. Any particular character in a film that you really wish to play?
I would really like to do an action film. I would really like to be a Bond girl some day because that’s the ultimate action film that you could be a part of and I think I’ll be utterly happy if that ever happens in my life.
3. What’s a day in the life of Saiyami Kher look like when she is not shooting?
I wake up early and go out for a workout or a run, depending on my training needs. I finish all my meetings in the first half of the day. An ideal day would mean going to a friend’s place or inviting some friends to my place and listen to old Hindi songs. I admit, I am an old soul.
4. If you were not a sportsperson or an actor, what would you have chosen as your profession?
Maybe, I would have opened a restaurant.
5. How was working with someone as magnanimous as Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra, like?
I was around Rakeysh sir, Gulzaar Saab, Shanker-Ehsan-Loy and Om Puri. But, also because Rakeysh sir took me under his wings and showered me with pearls of wisdom. I remember this one time when I was getting ready for a close-up shot with an army of people working around me on my hair, makeup, costumes, camera angle and lights. Once the shot was done, everyone got up and left. Rakeysh sir looked at me and said, “Did you see what happened?” He told me that this is how the film industry is. Everyone will be around you when they need something out of you, but once the work is done, they will leave you and go. I learned a big lesson in my life.