Make The Perfect Soup
Clear Soup with Noodle
1. In a small frying pan over medium heat, cook shallots in oil until brown.
2. Cook noodles according to packet instructions.
3. In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring chicken stock to a simmer and add beansprouts and finally, chicken.
4. Once the soup is cooked through, ladle over the noodles. Sprinkle the shallots and spring onion over the top, and season with soy sauce or salt.
Chicken Vegetable Soup
1. Bring water to boil.
2. In the meantime, cut up all the vegetables into small cubes.
3. Cut the chicken into 1cm cubes.
4. Add the vegetables, garlic and stock and boil on high heat for 5 minutes, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Add chicken and bring to boil for 2 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or longer.
6. The soup is ready when all ingredients have sunk to the bottom.
Vegetable and Mushroom Soup
1. Place potatoes, carrots, parsley and celery in a soup pot.
2. Cover with about 8 cups water.
3. Add salt, pepper and mushrooms.
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, half covered, for 1 hour.
5. When the soup is almost done, melt butter in a small frying pan.
6. Add onions and sauté until transparent.
7. Add flour and stir until flour is brown 5 minutes.
8. Stir into soup and serve.
Szechuan Shrimp and Noodle Soup
1. In a large saucepan, combine frozen vegetables and contents from Szechuan sauce packet, water and shrimp.
2. Cook over high heat until vegetables and shrimp are thawed, stirring occasionally.
3. Bring to a boiling point.
4. Add noodles and contents of seasoning packet from chicken soup mix.
5. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
6. Sprinkle each serving with peanuts from meal starter.
Points to remember
Soups, chicken soup within particular, are very effective for treating cold and fever. It’s an ancient and time-honoured technique, which makes you feel better instantly.
When you choose detoxifying ingredients, you are really treating your body to an internal cleanse.
Studies have found that chicken noodle soup does seem to relieve the common cold by inhibiting inflammation — helping to break up congestion and ease the flow of nasal secretions.
A bowl of soup a day can also be helpful in the prevention of diseases such as cancer, heart disease or stroke.